Thursday 12 September 2013

Kaduna Flood: Homes and Properties destroyed

Several people have being rendered homeless and farmlands destroyed in Kaduna, all thanks to flood which was triggered by heavy thunderstorm in the State which lasted from the 8pm on Tuesday to 1pm on Wednesday, which is approximately 15 hours.


Though, no lives was lost, over 180 homes were destroyed as well as 200 chickens killed. The situation was as a result of consistent down pour which accumulated since the month of August.

Although residents of the affected areas were warned earlier to vacate the area, some yielded to the advice while others refused.

The affected areas are Gonin Gora, Ungwan Romi, Ungwan Maigero, Narayi, Ungwan Boro, Tudun Wada, Kigo New Extension, Nasarawa,  Kamazo, Kabala Doki, Karatudu, Kabala Costain, Birnin Gwari, Ungwan Rimi,  Rafin Guza, Doka, Malali, legislative quarters, all in Kaduna North and Chikun local government areas of the state

A resident in Ungwan Romi said they were almost killed when their house collapsed.

“We survived by miracle. We were sleeping when the rain was falling, then after sometime, a part of the room collapsed. I quickly woke my family up and we ran inside the rain to one of our relation’s place that was safe,” he said.

The spokesman of the state Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) Abubakar Adamu Zakari, said in a telephone interview, that he was too busy to give details of the flood, adding that the disaster displaced a lot of people.
“I am very busy now. So, I am not in a position to give you details of the affected areas, the destructions and the people displaced. We are still assessing the damage, you can call me tomorrow” he said

A Kaduna based journalists Amina Anebi who was also affected by the flood explained her ordeal.

“I slept at about 9pm because I was not feeling too fine, and all of a sudden at about 10’clock this morning, I discovered I was catching cold and suddenly I saw myself inside water, I hurriedly woke up and managed to locate my way outside, the water was almost at my chest.
“Most of my properties are destroyed, as I speak to you now, I cannot quantify the volume of what I would have lost” she said.

However, the commercial motorcyclist, took advantage of the situation as they made quick money crossing the flooded streets with residents to collect the rest of their properties.

No comments: