Monday 12 August 2013

FIRST TRADITIONAL GAY WEDDING

A pair of South African men have tied the knot in what is believed to be the country's first traditional gay wedding.

Tshepo Cameron Modisane and Thoba Calvin Sithol wore traditional tribal costumes for the ceremony in the town of KwaDukuza inKwaZulu-Natal. The newly-married couple, who are both 27 and have been together for three years, made their vows in front of 200 guests.

TshepoModisane, now Sithol, said, 'I love Thoba so much. I'm very excited we're both Mr. Sithol.

'There is an idea that being gay is against being African, but being gay is as African as being black, so it's part of our culture and we are rooted in our culture.'

The two also plan to have children through a surrogate.

Thoba's mother LindiweDladla is delighted that her son is married. She said, 'I am so happy and I have no worries. I'm so grateful for the gifts from the Modisanes. I wish them well for the future and where they will be living together.'

Same-sex marriages have been legal in South Africa since 2006. It is the fifth country, the first in Africa, and the second outside Europe, to legalise it.

No comments: