Monday 12 August 2013

BBA: SENSE OR NONSENSE

Paid a friend a visit last week and met him in a grumpy state. After a few minutes,I finally found out what was wrong with him. For about two months now,his sisters had taken over the TV. 'Always watching that dumb show' as he put it..I couldn't help but feel sorry for him.
The dumb show in question is Big Brother Africa(BBA). Before you feel I just want to criticise the show for nothing. Ask yourself,what is actually the essence of BBA.
The organisers would like you to believe it promotes African unity and values. Yet to understand how this works. When did African unity become getting drunk or having sex in the view of a world wide audience? The Females tend to suffer more from this show of shame called the BBA. 
When the Nigerian Senate made moves to ban the show a few years ago,our youths stood up and started shouting foul. When our president decided to rename University of Lagos after our democratic Hero Moshood Abiola,we started out a riot on the streets of Lagos..hmm,talk about mis-placed priorities.

A show that can't even portray a good African home where a group of strangers can co-exist for days is a total waste. Yet the organisers would tell you 'all behaviours and views of the house occupants are basically that of the individual and not of the producers or the country they come from'..and yet these occupants are hand-picked by the organisers. I ask again,what is the essence of the show?

Most people would stand off to say I am simply a 'hater'. Well term me what ever you like but truth is you would gain more watching 'Keeping up with the Kardashians'(basically doesn't make sense too) than spending time on BBA. 

Sit down and ask yourself, you have watched BBA for over 90 days now,what have you learnt. 
What, try to remember? No matter how little. 

In anger my friend said he was suspecting his little brother to be gay simply because he can't understand why a guy would sit down watching BBA(that's topic for another day). True, no one's forcing anyone to watch the show but the way people go about it is appalling. It has taken over the social media scene (though I blame this on the football off-season)..

''Tunde!!! Angelo is f**king Beverly again ooo"!!! I drop my phone as my friend and I race to the living room!
#BASS

No comments: