Sunday 28 July 2013

Cyclist Removes 15inch long and 2inch wide branch from neck

A CYCLIST nicknamed Woody waited for surgeons to remove a 15inch with thorns branch which has impaled his neck.

Adrian Wood, 34, fell off his bike on a ride and the tree branch skewered him. It ripped through the his jugular vein, voicebox and oesophagus, ending up just two millimetres from an artery. If it had moved, he could have bled to death.
Incredibly the brave plasterer picked himself up and walked along an alleyway with the 2inch-wide branch stuck in his neck.


Adrian said: “I kept looking forward, taking very careful steps. I could feel the branch tapping on my shoulder.If I had moved it or pulled it slightly, I would have died.”

After a pal raised the alarm, Adrian was rushed to Peterborough City Hospital and given a 50-50 chance of survival.

But surgeons removed the branch in a five-hour operation. Adrian is now on the mend and hopes to return home soon.

He said: “I’ll get back on the bike as soon as I can. And I’ve kept the stick. I’m going to frame it!

No comments: